Monday, November 18, 2013

Eating on the Path of Enlightenment


I am on a wondrous path of trying to find my “truths” and have just started a Hatha Yoga class to help me focus and build my physical and mental strength.

As I was reading some of the yoga materials, it was strongly suggested that a vegetarian diet would enhance my experience and some other readings have suggested that vegetarianism is the only dietary choice on or to the path of enlightenment.

Synchronistically, I attended a public discussion of the spiritual benefits of vegetarian and vegan..."vegger" lifestyles….and one might also think that it was a “universal truth”.

The thing that got my attention was it is highly suggested (that night and from brief Internet research) that vegetarians and vegans take B12 supplements since there is not enough (if any) that comes from their diet and it is not manufactured in their body.

The question I had is if God (Creator, Source…) desires us to travel this path of enlightenment and we need to choose a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle…..why didn’t he/she gives us all that we need to thrive….in that dietary lifestyle?

At our weekly spiritual discussion group, I broached this question.  First, I said I didn’t want to offend any of the vegetarians or vegans in the room, but I didn’t understand this and needed input to help me find my truth.  We had an interesting discussion. 

It is not my intent to have an exhaustive debate of the merits of any dietary lifestyle, nor judgment of anyone else’s…I am only raising my question in my search for my truth.

On the pro vegetarian/vegan/"vegger" side of the discussion, I think for some people it could be a compassionate issue, sentient being issue, health, environment and spiritual, etc.  They did acknowledge the need for B12 and suggested some other supplements like zinc, etc.

On the carnivore side: health was mentioned; the circle of life; everything we eat is energy; biblically, God gave man dominion over plants and animals, etc.
This missing puzzle piece for me was the B12.
One point was brought out that man doesn’t need B12 to live but perhaps it is needed to live a longer life….is it a question of quality versus quantity of life?

We also talked about the people who don’t need food or water…I think the term is “breathers” comes to mind…who have won the war of mind versus stomach.  And the veggers who many not need B12…I an unclear if they have a natural store of B12 or if they manufacture it from their diet.  It is my understanding that B12 naturally comes from animal sources or from supplements.  For me, I don’t believe people can live or thrive without food and water so I quit listening when I hear that topic….until I meet someone who has incontrovertible evidence that they have survived for “years” without food and water.

Another point that rings so loudly within me…… the question was asked of me, who told you what to eat and why….. 


Anyway, B12 is fodder for some mental noodling for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment