Friday, October 3, 2014

John Mellencamp

Under the topic of “In Case You Missed It”:

Today, I was watching CBS This Morning and saw a segment about John Mellencamp. John has resonated with Scott and I for most of our lives. One of Scott’s favorite sayings comes from John. “I’ve got two moods: I’m either pissed off or I’m alright . . .” Needless to say our spiritual journey has helped to mellow us out and perhaps Mellencamp too.

While watching the segment, my legs started to tingle and I got a powerful spiritual realization about him. In the 1980s, he was approached by an older woman on a New York street. She asked him, “Do you know how many angels are around you?”
“What?” He asked, baffled.

“You are covered with protection!” She proclaimed. At the time, he didn’t understand what she meant, but the future would hold the answers.

Later he found out that he survived a rare birth defect, spina bifida. His neurosurgeon did a lifesaving and pioneering “guinea pig” surgery on him. Two others, born at the same hospital with the same defect, did not survive adolescence, let alone to their 60s like John. John said, “I am lucky to be here.”

Mellencamp then went on to say, “Now looking back on her saying that, seeing what I have seen, maybe I believe it”

Recently, he met the 97 year old surgeon who saved his life. John said, “And basically we talked about faith . . . cuz I have very little faith. . . in anything. He just kept grabbing my hand and saying, John you need to find faith. I am trying to take his advice to heart. . . find faith in something.”

The reason I bring this to your attention, and perhaps the reason it hit my radar, is that spiritual messages can be everywhere - on the streets of New York City, to Super Stars, and in the grasp of the elderly. John Mellencamp may have been marketing his new album and tour that starts in January, but I caught a different message, a message about faith and about other things that are less tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment