Friday, July 26, 2013

Treating Canine Abscess Healed With Essential Oils


My dog Buckaroo Banzai is a 7 year old Standard Poodle or some people may call him a Royal Poodle because he is 75 pounds of Poodle fun.

I found a golf ball sized fluid filled (I assumed) abscess under the skin on his back, between his withers.  I toyed with the idea of taking him to the vet but held back because I had purchased an essential oil book, Animal Desk Reference Book by Melissa Shelton, DVM…..so I did a bit of research and decided I would try out the recommendation from the book and since I am a Young Living Oils distributor and use them for myself and my family…..why would the dog be any different?

I treated it for about 2 weeks with frankincense oil and thieves oil spray, applied morning and evening.  I would gently massage the oil above and around the abscess.  For several days I didn’t see any changes and I thought that if it would get worse, we would go to the vet….I call it my “spidy sense” when I know I need to take urgent action.  

Not long after that, I started to think that it was shrinking or changing and had wished that I can used calipers to measure it before I had started applying the oils.  My sense was that it didn't seem to be as firm or as solid as before. Dang, I wish now that I had applied a little more scientific  discipline to this.

I kept treating and then I started to feel some scabbing on the skin above the abscess.  I rechecked the book and these oils can be put directly on the skin (called neat) without diluting with a carrier oil.  I backed off treating to once per day and the scabbing got thicker and broader.

Our neighbors have pets and got us into Young Living Oils and they were sitting on our deck and I asked for their opinion of Buckaroo’s back.  They both thought that the scabbing was the fluid from the abscess bubbling to the surface.  Which makes perfect sense that the body would either absorb or eliminate the fluid in some way and the scabbing was like dried yellowish pus.


Today, I trimmed away the hair and bathed the area to clean it up and found a little redness but otherwise I was very pleased with what I saw and felt in the area. 

I hope this helps you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment